Friday, August 30, 2024

Ten Virgins


August 30, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning's walk was refreshing, with the cool, damp air clinging to my cheeks as Sister Mary Claire and I made our way to St. Mary's. The early morning mist wrapped around us like a soft veil, and I found myself thanking God for such a peaceful start to the day.

Once again, we were the greeters at Mass, standing at the entrance with smiles as we handed out the Gospel readings. Mini stayed home today, resting, but I carried her in my heart as I greeted each parishioner with warmth and love. Father LeRoy’s homily touched my soul deeply. He preached on the Gospel according to Matthew 25:1-13, the parable of the ten virgins. His words reminded us of the importance of being always prepared, keeping our lamps filled with the oil of faith and good works, so that we may be ready when the Lord comes. His message felt like a gentle nudge to keep my own faith steadfast and my heart open.

After Holy Mass, Sister Mary Claire and I decided to walk a bit further and have breakfast at the Breakfast Club. The town was just waking up, with a few farmers already gathered, sipping their coffee and sharing stories. We both ordered soft easy over eggs, a slice of bacon, and one pancake each with real butter and maple syrup. The meal was simple but so delicious, especially with the company of the friendly locals.

In the afternoon, I stopped by the cave, seeking a quiet moment in John Hathaway's room. I picked up one of his books, a collection of short stories. One story in particular caught my attention; it was filled with wisdom and a deep sense of peace. I found myself thinking that the book would be a wonderful addition to the Little Library and I plan to add it soon. 

Evening Prayer:

O Lord, as the day draws to a close, I offer You my gratitude for the blessings You have bestowed upon me. Thank You for the cool morning air, the beauty of the Gospel, and the nourishment of food and faith. May I always keep my lamp burning bright with love and devotion, ready to welcome You at any hour. Bless my family, Sister Mary Claire, and all those I hold dear. Keep Mini safe and peaceful through the night. Grant me rest, O Lord, and may my dreams be filled with Your light. Amen.

With love and peace in my heart,

Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...