Friday, August 9, 2024

Self Sacrifice


August 9, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning was special as Mini felt well enough to join Sister Mary Claire and I for our usual walk to St. Mary’s down the gravel road. It was such a joy to have her with us again, even though we still have to keep a close eye on her. The morning air was crisp, and the soft light of dawn made everything feel peaceful.

Mass was as uplifting as ever. Father LeRoy gave a powerful sermon today, reflecting on the Gospel reading from Matthew 16:24-28:

"Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?"

Father spoke about the importance of self-sacrifice and following Christ, even when the path is difficult. His words resonated with me, reminding me that true life and joy come from surrendering to God’s will.

When we returned home, it was time for Mini's pain pill, which she took easily when hidden in some peanut butter. We then had breakfast with Tom and Judy, who kindly invited us over for a warm bowl of old-fashioned rolled oatmeal. They served it with a pat of Irish butter, Kalona cream, and a sprinkle of brown sugar. It was simply delicious—I could eat that every day of the year!

Tom shared with us that the oats we enjoyed were grown right here in Iowa and processed in Cedar Rapids, not far from home. He mentioned that over two million pounds of oatmeal are produced daily and shipped all over the world. I felt so blessed to live in a state that contributes so much to feeding the hungry around the globe.

The rest of the day was quiet, with Mini resting by my side. I spent the time in prayer and reflection, grateful for the simple blessings of the day.

As night falls, I offer this prayer:

Dear Lord, thank You for the gift of this day and the gentle reminder of what it means to follow You. Watch over Mini as she heals, and help us all to carry our crosses with grace. May we always find our true life in You. Amen.

Goodnight, dear diary.

Love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...