Thursday, August 29, 2024

The Touch of Fall


August 29, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning, the coolness of the early autumn air greeted us as we walked to church. The gravel road crunched beneath our feet, and a gentle breeze carried the scent of leaves to fall with the first frost. There’s something so comforting about the first hints of autumn—it’s like the earth is preparing to rest, just as we are called to find our own peace.

Sister Mary Claire walked beside me, her habit swaying lightly with each step, and Mini trotted along, her little bottom wiggling in excitement. As we reached the church, the air seemed crisper, almost sacred, in the morning light. We stood by the entrance, and as the parishioners arrived, Mini and I handed out the Gospel readings. Her presence, as always, brought smiles and warm greetings, especially from the children.

Father LeRoy’s homily today was poignant, based on the Gospel according to Mark 6:17-29. He spoke of the courage of St. John the Baptist, who stood firm in his faith despite the threat of death. Father reminded us that, like St. John, we are called to stand up for the truth, even when it is difficult or unpopular. His words made me think about the importance of holding fast to our beliefs, especially as the world around us grows colder, both in season and sometimes in spirit.

After Mass, the afternoon was spent preparing for the cooler evenings to come. Sister Mary Claire and I walked through the woods, picking up fallen sticks, our breaths visible in the crisp air. This time, we brought the sticks back and began cutting them into kindling for the stove. The rhythmic sound of the axe meeting wood was soothing, a reminder of the simple, honest work that fills our days.

As the day came to a close, I found myself in the prayer wagon, the last light of the setting sun casting a golden hue through the small window. I whispered a prayer of gratitude for the day, for the changing seasons, and for the blessings that fill my life.

O Lord, thank you for the beauty of this day, for the cool breeze and the warmth of love. Help me to stand firm in my faith, as St. John the Baptist did, and guide me through the changing seasons with grace and strength. Amen.

With that, I closed my eyes, feeling the peace of the day settle within me, ready to embrace whatever tomorrow may bring.

Goodnight, dear Diary.
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...