Monday, August 19, 2024

August 19, 1955


Dear Diary,

This morning was one of those serene, golden mornings when the world seems aglow with the light of God's grace. Sister Mary Claire, Mini, and I walked to St. Mary's down the gravel road. The ears of corn in the fields along the way hung heavy, full of promise for the harvest yet to come. As we walked, I whispered my favorite prayer over and over, filling my heart with its hopeful plea: "O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod!"

Father Leroy's homily today touched on the Gospel according to Matthew 19:16-22, where a young man learns that eternal life requires more than just following commandments; it requires a heart willing to give up worldly riches. Father Leroy spoke eloquently about the challenge of true sacrifice and the beauty of complete trust in God, urging us to consider what we are each called to give up in order to follow Jesus more closely.

The homily left a deep impression on me, stirring thoughts about what I hold onto too tightly and what I might need to let go of to fully embrace God's will.

As the day closes and I write to you, my dear diary, the stillness of the evening wraps around me like a comforting shawl. It's a moment for reflection, for prayer, and for gratitude.

Heavenly Father, as the sun sets on another day, I thank You for the lessons learned and the peace found in walking Your paths. Help me to recognize the riches that truly matter and grant me the courage to let go of those that keep me from Your kingdom. May my heart always be aligned with Yours, and my actions reflect Your love and mercy. Amen.

Goodnight, dear diary.

With love, Kathy






No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...