Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Teach us to Pray

 
August 28, 1955


Dear Diary,


This morning, Sister Mary Claire and I walked to church with Mini trotting happily alongside us. Father LeRoy gave a lovely homily today. He shared with us a simple yet profound prayer that is close to his heart: "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, teach us to pray." He spoke about the importance of keeping prayer close to our hearts throughout the day, sending little "ejaculation" prayers—like arrows into heaven—full of love and devotion. He encouraged us to let our thoughts become prayers, to offer each good intention and every little act to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. His words have stayed with me, reminding me that prayer doesn’t have to be grand; it can be as simple as a heartfelt whisper.

Mini was her usual charming self in church, greeting each person as if they were the only soul in the world. She has such a sweet way of making everyone feel special, giving them her full attention before moving on to the next. It's as though she has a little mission of her own, to spread joy to every parishioner one wag at a time. I can’t help but admire her for that.

However, I’ve been a bit upset with myself today. I realized that I had published the Gospel reading for today yesterday as well. I wonder what everyone thinks of that mistake. No one said a word, of course; they were all too polite. But it bothers me, and I hope it didn’t cause any confusion or frustration for anyone.

In the afternoon, Sister Mary Claire and I finished planting our fall garden. We gave everything a good sprinkle of water, making sure our little seeds and seedlings were well cared for. It felt satisfying to complete the planting, knowing that we’ve done our part and now it’s up to God to bring the growth.

Shaggy Coat was busy with the sticks we had gathered earlier. I had put all the sticks I picked up in the yard in a neat pile by the creek for him. He wasted no time, working diligently as if he knew exactly what to do with them. Watching him work reminded me of how we all have our roles to play in God’s creation, no matter how small or big they may seem.

As the day comes to a close, I turn my thoughts to prayer.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, teach us to pray. Guide our hearts to stay close to you in every moment, and help us to see the beauty in offering our thoughts and actions as little prayers to you. Be with Sister Mary Claire and me as we continue our journey, always seeking to grow closer to you. Amen.

Until tomorrow, dear Diary.

With love,
Kathy





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...