Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Thunder and Lightning - Oh My


  
Click on Sound Bar for the Iowa Thunder Storm.

Dear Diary,

This morning was especially quiet, the kind of stillness that makes you feel like you're the only one awake. As I walked to church, the world seemed wrapped in a blanket of peace, with just the soft crunch of gravel under my feet to break the silence. The air was cool, hinting at the change of seasons. As I walked, a verse came to mind, one that seems to have taken root in my heart lately:

"Silently practice every good,
Silently love your God,
Silently do the work you should,
While life’s path is humbly trod."

These words guided my thoughts, reminding me to focus on the quiet, steady work of living faithfully, even when no one is watching.

Sister Mary Claire had left early this morning, eager to get to St. Mary’s ahead of the rest of us. She wanted to pass out the Gospel readings and make sure everything was in order before the parishioners arrived. When I got there, she was already in place, greeting everyone with her warm smile and handing out the readings with such care. It’s a small act, but one that sets the tone for the entire service.

Father LeRoy’s sermon was particularly powerful today. He preached on the Gospel according to Matthew 19:23-30, where Jesus tells us how difficult it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, comparing it to a camel passing through the eye of a needle. Father emphasized that true wealth lies not in material possessions but in our relationship with God and the love we show to others. His words made me think about the importance of humility and how God values the quiet, selfless acts we perform every day. He reminded us that in God’s kingdom, the first shall be last and the last shall be first, teaching us to walk our path humbly, just as the verse I reflected on this morning had said.

The day passed peacefully, and as evening approached, I noticed the sky growing dark with storm clouds. The distant rumble of thunder began to roll in, a reminder of the power and majesty of God’s creation. There’s something comforting about the sound of a storm, especially when you’re safe inside, knowing that God is watching over everything.

Before bed, I took a moment to say my evening prayer. The thunder outside was growing louder, but it only seemed to deepen the peace I felt as I prayed:

"Dear Lord,
 
Thank You for the gift of this day and for the gentle reminders of Your presence in my life. Help me to live humbly, walking the path You have set before me with faith and trust. May I always remember to practice every good silently, to love You with all my heart, and to do the work You have called me to, even when it goes unnoticed by others. As the storm approaches, I ask for Your protection over all who may be vulnerable tonight. Guide us safely through the night and grant us the grace to wake tomorrow, ready to serve You anew.

Amen."


With the storm outside and peace within, I feel ready for a restful night, trusting in God’s care.

With love and prayer,
Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...