Saturday, August 31, 2024

Goodbye August


August 31, 1955

Dear Diary 

Today marks the last day of August, and I couldn’t help but reflect on how swiftly time passes. The air was a bit crisper this morning as Mini and I walked down the familiar gravel road to Church. Mini trotted happily beside me, her little bottom wiggling with each step. The sound of the gravel crunching beneath our feet mixed with the soft rustling of the leaves, hinting that autumn is just around the corner. I repeated a prayer from my Irish Prayer book, "O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod!" and felt a deep sense of peace.

Today's Gospel reading from Matthew 25:14-30 spoke to my heart. It was the parable of the talents, a story that reminds us to use the gifts God has entrusted to us wisely and to not let fear hold us back. I couldn't help but think of my own talents and how I might better use them to serve others and glorify God. The Lord expects us to be faithful in small matters so that He can trust us with greater responsibilities.

After Mass, Mini was in her usual cheerful mood, eagerly greeting everyone with her bright eyes and wagging bottom. She brought smiles to all who passed by, and I could see how much joy she brings to others. Together, we lingered for a while, chatting with the parishioners. Mini seemed to enjoy every moment, her tail-less wiggles always making the children giggle.

As the day comes to a close, I am grateful for the simple joys that have filled my days—gathering eggs for the Breakfast Club, spending time with my beloved brown hen, and sharing these precious moments with Sister Mary Claire and Mini. I look forward to what September will bring, and I pray that I will continue to walk faithfully in the path the Lord has laid before me.

O Mary of Grace, continue to guide my steps, and may I always use the talents given to me for His glory.

Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...