Monday, July 1, 2024

The Cave

Dear Diary,

Today was a day of profound spiritual and personal discovery. Sister Mary Claire and I attended the 6 o'clock Mass at St. Mary's. As Father Leroy delivered the homily, my mind wandered, filled with anticipation for the adventure awaiting me after Mass. Today, I would return to the cave Shaggy Coat had led me to, lantern in hand, ready to explore its depths.

After Mass, I could barely contain my excitement. Sister Mary Claire gave me a knowing smile as I grabbed my lantern and made my way to the cave. The entrance loomed before me, both inviting and mysterious. As I stepped inside, the cool air and damp stone walls greeted me. The flickering lantern light cast dancing shadows, adding to the sense of adventure.

Just inside the cave, I noticed a small niche carved into the rock. Vines had crept in from outside, their tendrils curling gracefully around the stone, giving the scene an ethereal quality. The muted natural light bathed the niche, creating a surreal and serene atmosphere. To my astonishment, inside the niche stood a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The statue was beautifully crafted, her serene expression bringing an overwhelming sense of peace.

As I marveled at the statue, my eyes caught sight of a dusty bottle placed at her feet. Intrigued, I uncorked the bottle and found a neatly rolled letter. Carefully, I unrolled the paper and began to read:

"To whomever finds this,

I am a humble settler traveling through Iowa on my way to the gold fields in the Black Hills. It is the year 1874, and the land before me is vast and untamed. My wagon broke down near this spot, and with no means to repair it, I was forced to leave it behind. I had no plan to return east, for my dreams lie westward.

As I wandered, I stumbled upon this cave. The little stream running through it reminded me of the sacred waters of Lourdes. In my possession, I carried this statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a symbol of my faith and hope. Not knowing what to do with it, I placed it here, hoping it would find a safe home.

I pray that whoever discovers this cave and this statue will cherish it as much as I do. May it bring you comfort and guidance, as it has for me.

Godspeed, John Hathaway, 1874"

Reading John Hathaway's note filled me with a sense of awe and connection to the past. I could almost imagine him, weary from his journey, finding solace in this very cave. The statue, nestled in its rocky alcove, seemed to radiate a sense of divine presence.

I spent some time marveling at the statue, reflecting on the journey that had brought John here and the serendipitous discovery that had led me to this sacred spot. The little stream trickled gently nearby, and the cave's natural beauty was truly a hidden gem.

I decided to explore further and lit my lantern. But just as I did, the flame flickered and went out, leaving me in near darkness. I felt a moment of panic, but then I noticed how the natural light sufficed for the niche, casting a gentle glow.  It was as if the Blessed Virgin herself was illuminated by a divine light, making everything surreal.

I decided to leave the deeper exploration for tomorrow, when I would return with a refueled lantern. There was so much more to discover, but for today, the statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary and John Hathaway's letter were enough to fill my heart with gratitude and wonder.

In the evening, Sister Mary Claire and I spent time in the prayer wagon. I shared the story of my discovery with her, and we marveled at the ways in which faith and destiny intertwine. We prayed together, and I wrote a special prayer for our evening devotion:

Heavenly Father, We thank You for the guidance and protection You provide on our journeys. Just as You led John Hathaway to this cave, You lead us through the trials of life. May the Blessed Virgin Mary, whose statue now stands as a testament of faith, watch over us. Help us to cherish the blessings and discoveries You place in our path. Grant us the strength to continue forward with faith, hope, and love. Amen.

As we finished our prayers, I felt a deep sense of gratitude for the day's adventure and the unexpected connection to the past. Today was a day I would never forget, a day where faith, history, and exploration converged in the most wonderful way. Tomorrow, I will return to the cave to explore its deeper mysteries, knowing that the Blessed Virgin Mary watches over me.

Until tomorrow, dear diary.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Immaculate Conception

July 5, 1955 Dear Diary, I was startled awake early this morning by the deep rumble of an approaching thunderstorm. The room was illuminated...