Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Little Lord's Light

 
July 3, 1955

Dear Diary,

Today was another remarkable day filled with spiritual wonder and inspiration. Sister Mary Claire and I took a peaceful walk to St. Mary's for early morning Mass. The sun was just rising, casting a golden glow over the fields and the tall church steeple. As we walked, I shared with Sister my eagerness to return to the cave and show her the amazing discovery I had made yesterday.

After Mass, Sister decided she should come with me to the cave to ensure everything was safe inside. Her protective nature and curiosity were comforting as we made our way back to the hidden grotto. With lantern in hand, we stepped into the cool darkness of the cave, the flickering light revealing the beauty within.

When we reached the niche at the front of the cave, Sister Mary Claire was speechless. The statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary stood serenely, illuminated by the soft glow of light from a natural window above the cave's entrance. She marveled at the divine presence the statue seemed to radiate and the tranquility of the little stream flowing beside it. This small grotto felt like a sacred space all on its own.

As we wandered further into the cave, we discovered a larger room at the back with a handmade door and frame carved to fit perfectly the room's rocky opening. With a second push the door opened and we found quite a room indeed, filled with the possessions John Hathaway had left behind. It was obvious that he had spent a significant amount of time here, and the cave, being dry, had allowed him to create a home within its walls. Most everything from the covered wagon was neatly organized inside.

To our astonishment, it seemed that John Hathaway must have taken the wagon apart and reconstructed it in the room making it part of his living quarters. This ingenious use of his resources showed how resourceful and determined he was. The scene was almost surreal, with many books and other personal items well placed and tucked away, almost as if he had known that someday someone would find this hidden sanctuary.

John Hathaway must have been a very particular man, with everything in its place, showing signs of careful thought and a deep sense of faith. His story deeply inspired me. His journey, his faith, and his determination to preserve these sacred items reminded me of the power of faith and the importance of preserving our spiritual heritage. The cave, now our Little Lord's Light, felt like a sanctuary blessed by his devotion.

As we examined more of his belongings, I couldn't help but imagine his life and the challenges he faced. His meticulous nature and the way he had cared for his possessions spoke volumes about his character. It felt almost romantic in my head, thinking about this solitary traveler who had created a haven of faith in the midst of his journey.

Moved by this discovery, I felt compelled to write a prayer to the Blessed Mother. I poured my heart into the words, hoping to capture the sense of peace and inspiration I felt in the grotto.


Blessed Mother Mary, We thank you for your loving guidance and protection. Just as you watched over John Hathaway on his journey, We ask you to watch over us in our daily lives. May this grotto, our Little Lord's Light, be a place of peace and inspiration. Help us to carry the light of faith with us always, And to find strength in your loving presence. Amen.

In the evening, I read my prayer to Sister Mary Claire. She was moved by the words and the spirit of devotion they carried. We both felt a deep sense of connection to John Hathaway and the sacred space he had created. Inspired by today's events, I have decided to write daily prayers, hoping to continue this legacy of faith and devotion.

As I write this, I feel a profound sense of gratitude for the blessings and discoveries of the past two days. This journey has deepened my faith and strengthened my bond with my flesh and blood sister Mary Claire. I look forward to the prayers and adventures that lie ahead.

With love and devotion, Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Immaculate Conception

July 5, 1955 Dear Diary, I was startled awake early this morning by the deep rumble of an approaching thunderstorm. The room was illuminated...