Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Orthodoxy


July 25, 1955

 
Dear Diary,

This morning, as the sun was just beginning to rise, Sister Mary Claire, Mini, and I walked the half-mile to Church. The air was cool and crisp, with dew glistening on the corn. Birds sang from the trees, and the gentle rustling of leaves filled the air.

On the way, I read a quote by G.K. Chesterton: "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." It made me think, so I asked Father LeRoy about it when we got to Mass. He explained that people don’t reject Christianity because it doesn't work; they avoid it because it's hard to follow.

I think it makes sense. Living like Jesus asks us isn't easy, and many people give up before really trying. It's like they find it too tough and don't even start. Father LeRoy said true Christianity requires effort and sacrifice, but it's worth it. He also mentioned Chesterton's book Orthodoxy and said it explains these ideas well. I thought it would be a great addition to the Little Library.

As we walked back home after Mass, Sister Mary Claire and I talked about Chesterton's words. The farm was coming to life, with the rooster crowing and the hens clucking around. Mini barked happily, chasing a butterfly. I realized that Chesterton was right – the simple, hardworking life on the farm is a bit like trying to live out the Christian ideal. It’s not always easy, but the rewards are all around us if we just take the time to see them.

This afternoon, I spent time in my cave sanctuary, where the peacefulness helps me reflect on these important ideas. Living on the farm teaches me about patience and the simple joys that come from working hard and living my Christian faith.

I felt grateful for the peaceful morning, the beautiful surroundings, and the chance to reflect on these important ideas.

Dear Lord,

Thank You for this beautiful day and the blessings it brought. Thank You for the peaceful morning walk to Mass with Sister Mary Claire, for the cool air, and the songs of the birds. I am grateful for Father LeRoy's wisdom in explaining Chesterton's words and helping me understand the importance of living out the Christian ideal, even when it's difficult.

Thank You for my life on the farm, the hens, and the joy Mini brings to my day. Thank you for the quiet moments in the cave sanctuary, where I can find peace and reflect on Your teachings. Help me to see the rewards in the simple, hardworking life You've given us. Give me the strength and courage to live like Jesus.

Please bless my family, keep us safe, and guide us in Your ways. May we always find joy in serving You and in the beauty of Your creation.

Amen.


Til tomorrow,

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...