Wednesday, July 31, 2024

August 1, 1955


Thursday, August 1, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning's Mass was particularly moving. The First Reading was from the book of Jeremiah:

"This word came to Jeremiah from the LORD:
Rise up, be off to the potter’s house; there I will give you my message.
I went down to the potter’s house and there he was, working at the wheel.
Whenever the object of clay which he was making turned out badly in his hand, he tried again, making of the clay another object of whatever sort he pleased.
Then the word of the LORD came to me:
Can I not do to you, house of Israel, as this potter has done? says the LORD.
Indeed, like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, house of Israel."

As the reading finished and Father LeRoy began his homily, my mind started to wander. I imagined myself in the Cave Sanctuary, sitting at a potter’s wheel. The cool, damp air of the cave surrounded me, and I could hear the soft trickling of the stream nearby. My hands were covered in clay, and as I worked, I could feel the potential for creating something beautiful.

In my dreaming, I had already made hundreds of pots, each one more intricate than the last. People from all over Iowa and beyond were standing in a long lines outside the cave, waiting to purchase a pot. The money, of course, would be donated to the Little Library Foundation to build a library—a dream I've held close to my heart and will surely be the subject of another diary entry.

Lost in this wonderful vision, I suddenly felt a gentle nudge from Sister Mary Claire, who was sitting beside me. Her touch brought me back to the present, and I quickly refocused on Father's words, realizing I had missed the beginning of his homily. Feeling a bit embarrassed but grateful for the reminder, I tried to catch up on what he was saying. Father was explaining how God is like the potter, and we are the clay. Even when we make mistakes or things don’t turn out as planned, He is always there to reshape us, to mold us into something new and good. It’s comforting to think that no matter how many times we fail, God doesn’t give up on us. Instead, He patiently works with us, shaping us into better versions of ourselves. Just like the potter with his clay, God is always ready to give us another chance.

After Mass, Mini and I took a little walk down to the Sanctuary which is what I call my cave retreat. It’s always so peaceful there, and today was no exception. 
I knew better but looked around the cave to see if there were any signs of a potter's wheel. The thought of actually finding one made me laugh at myself, but it also made me feel closer to the lesson from Mass.

Lord, thank You for Your endless patience and love. Mold me into what You want me to be, and help me to trust in Your plans. Amen.

Love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...