Tuesday, July 9, 2024

God's Mercy


Dear Diary,

July 9, 1955

Today has been such a blessed day, filled with moments of reflection, peace, and joy. This morning, Sister Mary Claire and I attended early morning Mass at St. Mary’s, where Father LeRoy delivered a heartfelt homily on God’s Mercy. His words were both comforting and inspiring, reminding us of the boundless love and forgiveness that God extends to us all. Father LeRoy emphasized that we should not be downcast on account of our miseries, weaknesses, or repeated failures. These very struggles are the reason of God's mercies. They are grounds for confidence rather than despondency, as long as we strive to serve God and work to avoid sin. Our claim for mercy and salvation rests more on our sins than on our justice, a powerful reminder of the depth of God's compassion.

After Mass, I took care of the chicken chores, spending some peaceful moments with Omelette, my beloved brown hen. Mini, my cheerful corgi, followed me around, adding her own bit of joy to the morning routine. The chickens are thriving, and it’s such a simple pleasure to watch them go about their day.

Later, I took a quick trip to the cave. It’s always a soothing experience to step into that sacred space, feeling the serenity that John Hathaway must have felt. I borrowed one of his books to read tonight, hoping to glean some of the wisdom he left behind. I also made sure to give Shaggycoat, my beaver friend, a carrot. His appreciative nibbling brought a smile to my face.

As I reflect on Father LeRoy’s words and the day’s events, I feel a renewed sense of hope and gratitude. God's mercy truly is an ocean, ever ready to wash over us and renew our spirits.

With love and faith, Kathy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...