Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Our Lady of Lourdes


 
June 17, 1955

Dear Diary,
 
Today was a beautiful day, filled with the warmth of faith and the joy of companionship. I attended Mass at St. Mary’s, and as usual, the experience was uplifting. The sunlight streamed through the stained-glass windows, casting a kaleidoscope of colors onto the pews. Sister Mary Claire’s serene presence was a comfort, her gentle voice leading us in prayer and song. I couldn’t help but feel a deep sense of peace wash over me.

Mini was at my feet, her red and white fur contrasting with the polished wooden floor. She was unusually well-behaved, sitting quietly and occasionally glancing up at me with her big, expressive eyes. I think she enjoys the calm and reverence of the church as much as I do. Several parishioners smiled at her, and Father Leroy even gave her a little pat on the head after the service. Mini’s presence seems to bring joy to everyone she meets.

After Mass, as we walked back, Sister Mary Claire shared with me a passage from "The Lady of Lourdes" that she had been reading. As she spoke, I found myself drifting into a daydream. I imagined myself sitting on the big glacial rock from here at the farm, but instead of being surrounded by corn, I was high above Lourdes, looking down at the whole town below. The view was breathtaking, almost surreal, with the Basilica standing tall and majestic, the Grotto of Massabielle nestled peacefully, and the River Gave flowing gently through the town. Mini and Omelette were with me, Mini nestled comfortably against my side and Omelette clucking softly, pecking at the rock. The air was filled with a sense of peace and sanctity, and I felt a deep connection to Bernadette's unwavering faith and the divine presence that seemed to envelop Lourdes.

Tonight, as I prepare for bed, I offer this evening prayer:

Dear Blessed Mother,

As I rest beneath the stars tonight, I think of the big rock where your presence today was felt so strongly. Just as that rock stands firm and steadfast, may my faith in your love and guidance be unshakable.
Watch over me, my family, and all those I hold dear. Keep us safe and wrapped in your loving embrace.
Help me to find the strength to face each new day with grace and courage, knowing that you are always by my side.
Amen.

As I drift off to sleep, I feel a profound sense of contentment, knowing that I am loved and protected. Until tomorrow, dear diary.

With love,
Kathy
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...