Monday, September 30, 2024

Warmth and Reflection


September 30, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning's Mass with Father Linnan was so moving. The Gospel reading was from Luke 9:46-50, where the disciples argued about who among them was the greatest. Jesus, in His gentle way, showed them the true meaning of greatness by placing a child by His side. I felt like Father Linnan was speaking right to me and Sister Mary Claire. He paused, looked directly at us, and said, "It is in the smallness of our hearts, in the simplicity of our love for one another, that true greatness is found." I knew then that we were part of his homily. His words seemed to wrap around us like a blessing, making me feel small in the best way—like being humble and trusting, just as Jesus asks us to be.

Father Linnan used the reading to tell a story that touched my heart. He reminded us that greatness isn't about pride or being above others, but about humility and service. He spoke of our upcoming journey, saying, "Sometimes, we must trust, like children, and take the path set before us, even when it means stepping away from the familiar." He offered a prayer for our safe travels, adding, “I hope to see you both back at the cabin soon.”

It made me feel both excited and a little sad to leave. But I know God is with us, and I hold on to Father Linnan’s words of hope. He said that as we go on our journey, even though we are leaving, we are still carrying the love of our little cabin, our farm, and each other, right in our hearts. I know Sister Mary Claire felt the same because after Mass, we had such a busy afternoon getting ready. She thought it would be wise to pick up a few extra clothes, knowing we won't have time to go back to the farm before driving to Minneapolis tonight. We’re flying tomorrow.

I can already feel the pull of the city ahead, but I hope it won’t be long before we come back to the cabin.

I will end my day in prayer, grateful for all the blessings and the love that surrounds us on our journey.

O Lord, I place my trust in Thee,
As we journey far across the sea.
Watch over us with wings of grace,
Until we return to this beloved place.

And as we travel, great or small,
Remind us, Lord, You guide it all.
With open hearts, we seek Your light,
Both near and far, day and night.

Amen.

Today's Gospel Reading according to Luke 9:46-50

An argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.”

Then John said in reply, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow in our company.” Jesus said to him, “Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you.”

The Gospel of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Diary

Today was a peaceful day by Lake Zurich. Sister Mary Claire read me the Gospel of the day from her Roman Daily Missal, Luke 10:17-24, the pa...