Saturday, September 21, 2024

Pa's Passion


September 21, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning, I pedaled my bike to Church, braving the brisk wind that nipped at our cheeks. The chilly air reminded me that autumn is fast approaching, though I couldn't help but feel alive in it, like the wind itself was urging us onward. I repeated my usual prayer: "O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod!" It seemed fitting for a day like today. Mini stayed behind, warm and snug in the prayer wagon, and I think she was grateful not to face the cold.

Father Leroy's homily today was centered around the Gospel reading from Matthew 9:9-13, where Jesus calls Matthew the tax collector to follow Him, despite Matthew being seen as a sinner. Father reminded us how Jesus said, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." He then quoted Frederick Faber, whose words struck me deeply: "There is no greater mistake in the spiritual life than to neglect what we can do because we cannot do everything." Father LeRoy explained how mercy and small acts of kindness, no matter how humble, can bring us closer to God. I couldn't help but think of the little things—feeding the chickens or offering a kind word—and how they, too, are steps in the path of love.

After Mass, I made a quick stop at the Breakfast Club to deliver the big brown eggs. A few of those eggs were special, laid by my dear brown hen. Caleb was there to greet me, grateful as ever for the delivery, and I was happy knowing that soon the farmers would be enjoying those hearty eggs.

Later in the day, Sister Mary Claire and I made our way to the Catholic Thrift Store in Des Moines. I had a burst of excitement as we entered, hopeful to find another book by Frederick Faber. His writings have been such a blessing to me, and I hoped today would bring a new discovery. Though I didn't find a Faber book, I did stumble upon an old prayer book with beautifully worn pages. I felt it was a little treasure waiting for someone to hold it in prayer once again.

The day ended as it always does, in peaceful reflection. The wind has settled now, and the prayer wagon is warm and still. As I kneel beside my bed, I offer this little prayer:

"Dear Lord,

Thank you for the gift of this day,
For the wind that urged me forward,
For the Gospel that softened my heart.
Let me carry the mercy You ask of us,
In each small act,
As I follow in Your way.
Good night, Mini, sleep tight,
Good night, dear Lord, good night."

Good night, Mini, and good night to all.

With love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...