Monday, September 9, 2024

Under the Bed


September 9, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning, getting Mini ready for our walk to Church was a bit of an adventure. Lately, she’s taken to sleeping under the bed, like it’s her own little John Hathaway cave, where no one can bother her once she drifts off. It’s her quiet spot, and I imagine it must feel cozy and safe. When I tried calling her to get up, she didn’t even budge. But as always, I knew just what would work: one squeak of her ball, and out she came, full of energy! It's like she’s saying, “No energy for anything else, but for the ball? Give me more!” She raced after it, tail-less bottom wagging as if she’d been up all day. It made me laugh—Mini always knows how to surprise me.

The walk to Church was lovely, with the sun peeking through the clouds and the fresh scent of the fields around us. Sister Mary Claire and I walked side by side, while Mini trotted ahead, her ball in her mouth like a prized possession. When we arrived, we greeted the parishioners warmly, Mini happily nuzzling those who stopped to say hello. I handed out the Gospel readings as usual, feeling that familiar joy of seeing everyone come together for Mass.

Father Leroy’s homily today focused on the Gospel from Luke 6:6-11. He talked about how Jesus healed the man with the withered hand on the Sabbath and how the Pharisees were more concerned with the rules than with the miracle of healing. Father reminded us that mercy and doing good should always come first, no matter the situation. It was such a beautiful message and one I want to carry with me throughout the week.

After Church, we returned to our Monday routine. I delivered eggs to the Breakfast Club, and I couldn’t help but smile, knowing the customers were enjoying the big brown eggs from our hens. With the price of laying mash going up, I may have to raise the egg prices again, but I’m sure the four cousins won’t mind.

In the afternoon, Sister suggested a trip to the Dove Thrift store in Des Moines. While she browsed around for treasures, I hung out in the book nook, my favorite little corner. I always love the musty scent of old books, imagining all the hands that have held them before mine.

Tonight, Mini has tucked herself under the bed again, her little cave where she feels safe. I’m sure she’ll only come out when I squeak her ball—it’s the only way to lure her from her peaceful hideaway.

Dear Lord, thank You for the gift of this day, for the peace of our walk to Church, and for the comforting message Father Leroy shared with us. Help me remember to always choose kindness and mercy in my actions. Watch over Sister Mary Claire, Mini, and all those I care about. Grant us rest and refresh our hearts for tomorrow. Amen.

Goodnight, Diary. Until tomorrow.

Love,
Kathy






No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...