Friday, September 13, 2024

Campaign for Jesus


September 13, 1955

Dear Diary,

Today began as most days do, with Sister Mary Claire, Mini, and I walking the familiar gravel road to St. Mary's. The morning air was cool and fresh, the crunch of gravel beneath our shoes accompanying our soft prayers. I repeated the one I love from my Irish prayer book: "O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod!" Sister Mary Claire walked beside me, quiet in her thoughts, while Mini happily trotted at our feet, her little bottom wagging with each step.

At the church doors, I stood next to Sister Mary Claire, both of us handing out the Gospel readings. Mini stayed close, greeting the arriving parishioners with her bright eyes and cheerful spirit. I watched people smile as they saw her, feeling a warmth spread in my heart. I know she has that effect on people.

Father Leroy's homily touched on Luke 6:39-42, speaking about how we must remove the plank from our own eyes before helping our brothers. He tied it in with all the political ads for the upcoming presidential election, saying that no candidate could save us, only Jesus could. "If we are going to campaign for anyone," he said, "let it be for Jesus."

Well, that sent my mind soaring! I imagined myself on a solo campaign, just me, carrying banners that said "All for Jesus!" I'd visit every town, every city, telling people how only Jesus could guide us. I pictured myself on a grand platform, speaking into a microphone, the crowd cheering for the message of love, hope, and salvation. My heart raced as I daydreamed, imagining that maybe, just maybe, I could make a difference if I campaigned for Jesus as earnestly as those politicians do.

After Mass, I had to bring myself back to reality, though it wasn't easy! As we walked home, I told Sister Mary Claire about my little daydream, and she laughed softly, reminding me that every little action we take for Jesus is already a part of His campaign.

Back in the prayer wagon, the day ended peacefully. Sister Mary Claire joined me for our evening prayers while Mini curled up at my feet, her soft snores filling the cozy space. I had already put Omelette to bed earlier, placing her onto her little roost beside her nest.

As the stars began to dot the sky, I closed my eyes, feeling content. Campaigning for Jesus may be a dream, but I can do my part every day, right here.

With love and peace, Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...