Thursday, September 12, 2024

Loving Our Enemies


Dear Diary,

This morning's walk to church felt different, the air crisp and almost cold as autumn began to creep in. I wrapped my shawl tighter around my shoulders, and Mini trotted along beside us, her little paws making soft sounds on the gravel road. Sister Mary Claire and I smiled at each other, both grateful for the coolness after the long summer days. Mini seemed especially eager today, as if the weather brought out her extra energy. When we arrived at St. Mary's, she greeted the parishioners again with her friendly wagging, standing by our side as we passed out the Gospel reading for the day.

Father Leroy’s homily was based on the Gospel according to Luke 6:27-38. He spoke about loving our enemies and doing good to those who hate us, just as Jesus taught. "Give to everyone who asks you," he said, "and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back." His words felt both comforting and challenging, but they lingered in my heart as I thought about how I could show more kindness in small ways.

In the afternoon, I retreated to the cave for some quiet time. The wind had picked up, making me all the more thankful for John Hathaway’s little cast iron stove, now snugly fitted with the rock chimney. He brought it from the East in his covered wagon, and now it warmed me as I curled up near it, listening to the comforting crackle of the fire. The cave felt like a haven today, a place to think and reflect on Father Leroy’s homily.

As evening settled in, Mini and the brown hen made it clear it was time for their supper. Mini nudged my leg with her nose, and the hen let out soft clucks, wandering near the entrance. I couldn’t ignore them any longer, so I got up to feed them. The quiet moments of the day had made everything feel more peaceful.

Before I close, I offer this evening prayer:

"O God, You who see all things, help me to love as You have asked, even when it is hard. Guide my heart in kindness and patience, as I follow the path You have set before me. Amen."

Until tomorrow,
Kathy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...