Monday, September 23, 2024

Waiting for the Freeze

 
September 22, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning's walk to church was a peaceful one, with the drying corn rustling in the breeze, nearly ready for harvest. The stalks stand tall, waiting for that hard frost to signal the final stages of ripening. All the farmers at church were murmuring their predictions about when the freeze would come. Some said soon, others hoped for just a bit more time. It's funny how the weather always seems to have the last word, but everyone has an opinion.

At Mass, the Gospel reading from Luke 8:16-18 struck a chord with me. Father LeRoy spoke about not hiding our light. He said:

"No one who lights a lamp conceals it with a vessel or sets it under a bed; rather, he places it on a lampstand so that those who enter may see the light."

Father emphasized how each of us is called to let our light shine, not just for our own sake but for others, to be a beacon. He reminded us that even the smallest flicker of faith can light the way for someone else. And then, as he often does, he ended with a beautiful quote from Father Frederick William Faber:

"Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning."

It made me think of how kindness can be that light we're meant to share with the world.

The afternoon was spent in a simpler way, helping Tom attach the corn picker to his tractor. I wasn’t much help beyond handing him the tools as he worked underneath, but I was glad to be there. Mini, of course, was her usual playful self. I had to laugh when she rolled her ball toward Tom while he was under the tractor, hoping he’d grab it at the right moment. She’s just too cute for her own good!

Evening settled in peacefully, with Mini curled up at my feet as I sat in the prayer wagon. It was a day full of simple joys, faith, and community.

Father, for today I thank You,
For every task my hands could do,
For the farmers' wisdom shared so kind,
For the Gospel that filled my mind.

For Tom and the tractor, the tools and the work,
And Mini's ball and her playful quirk.
For the corn that waits for frost’s embrace,
And the light we share in every place.

Guide us through the coming days,
Keep our hearts and steps in Your ways.
Let kindness be the light I give,
In Your love and grace, help me live.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...