Sunday, September 15, 2024

Sunday Sermon



September 15, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning began beautifully, as always, with the warmth of our little church. Mini was in high spirits, her tail-less bottom wiggling joyfully as she greeted each parishioner. She stayed close by my side as I handed out the Gospel readings, her excitement filling the space with a special kind of light. It felt as though she was helping me welcome everyone into our shared sanctuary.

Father LeRoy’s homily today was based on the Gospel according to Mark 8:27-35. He spoke of Jesus asking His disciples, “Who do you say that I am?” and how Peter boldly declared Him the Messiah. Father’s words struck me when he reminded us that following Christ is a path not of earthly glory but of sacrifice. "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world but lose his soul?" It made me reflect on the simplicity of life here and how grateful I am to walk this humble road with Him.

As the evening settled, Sister Mary Claire and I retreated to the prayer wagon. The soft, cool breeze drifted through the window, bringing with it a calm that wrapped around us like a blanket. Mini, now tired from her busy day, curled up beside me, resting her head on my lap. I could feel her gentle breathing as she drifted off into sleep.

I listened to Bishop Robert Barron’s Sunday sermon, reflecting again on the same Gospel reading. His words echoed Father’s earlier message—that through sacrifice and self-denial, we come closer to God. His voice blended with the quiet sounds of the night, and beside me, Sister Mary Claire’s soft, steady breaths told me she was already sound asleep.

Before closing my eyes, I whispered a quiet prayer to myself: "Lord, grant us the strength to carry our crosses as You carried Yours, and help us follow Your path of love and grace. Amen." With Mini resting in my lap, the peaceful night surrounding us, I felt a deep sense of gratitude.

With love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...