Sunday, September 29, 2024

Pack the Suitcase



September 29, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning, the wind and rain thrashed against the cabin window, waking me before the light of day. The skies were dark, and for a moment, I wondered if we had come to Lake Okoboji too late in the season. Everything felt damp, cold, and unsettled. But the warmth of Sister Mary Claire’s company and the thought of Mini by our side pushed those thoughts away.

The walk to Church was wet and cold, the rain relentless, but we bundled ourselves in our warmest clothes and carried a sturdy umbrella. Mini, as usual, didn’t seem to mind at all—her thick fur coat seemed to make her invincible to the weather. She happily trotted along beside us, her little legs splashing through the puddles, making me smile despite the chill in the air.

At Mass, we heard the Gospel from Mark 9:38-48. Father Linnan’s homily focused on Jesus' powerful words: “For whoever is not against us is for us.” He spoke about how easy it is to judge others who seem different from us, even when they’re doing good things. Father told the story of a nearby farmer who had been distant from the church for years. Some judged him harshly, thinking he wasn’t living a Christian life, but when a neighbor’s house caught fire, this same farmer was the first to arrive, risking his life to help. "We often misjudge people," Father said. "Yet even in their quiet ways, they may be performing deeds of love that reflect Christ’s mercy."

As the Mass ended and we lingered for a moment, Sister turned to me with an expression I didn’t quite recognize. She took a deep breath and told me she had something important to share. I braced myself, sensing that it wasn’t going to be easy to hear. She told me she had been called to Einsiedeln Abbey in Switzerland for two weeks of teaching. My heart sank—I couldn’t imagine being here without her. But just as my sadness began to settle in, she reached into her purse and pulled out three tickets. “Mini’s going too,” she said, smiling. My heart leapt with joy!

We’ll be leaving on October 1st and arriving in Zurich on my birthday. I can hardly believe it. She explained that everything was arranged quickly, and she had already sent word to Tom and Judy. We’ll travel to Einsiedeln Abbey, where she’ll be teaching, but I know there will be much to discover for me as well.

Day’s End Prayer:

O Lord, You lead me far and wide,
From Okoboji’s peaceful tide,
To mountains high, where abbeys stand,
And call me to a distant land.

In Switzerland, with skies so bright,
Guide us safely through the night.
In every journey, near or far,
You are my compass, steady star.

With Mini close, and Sister near,
We’ll face the unknown without fear.
In new adventures, let me see
Your hand in all that’s meant to be.

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Diary

Today was a peaceful day by Lake Zurich. Sister Mary Claire read me the Gospel of the day from her Roman Daily Missal, Luke 10:17-24, the pa...