Friday, September 6, 2024

The Apostles Creed



Dear Diary,

The morning walk to church was a peaceful one, with the sky just beginning to light up in gentle shades of pink and gold. The cool breeze felt refreshing as Sister Mary Claire and I walked down the gravel road, Mini trotting ahead of us, her little bottom wagging with every step. I whispered my favorite prayer as we went, “O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod.” It always feels like a special way to start the day.

When we arrived at St. Mary’s, Sister Mary Claire and I got to work handing out the Apostle’s Creed. Father LeRoy had entrusted us with this important task, and he had even given me the honor of typing out and mimeographing the Apostle’s Creed for the congregation. Sister handed out the gospel, and I gave everyone their copy of the Creed. What a team we were!

Mini, of course, added her own special touch to the morning. She greeted each person as they came in, wagging her little bottom and giving a friendly bark here and there. Once the parishioners discovered that she could shake hands, Mini was in high demand! She was kept quite busy, making sure everyone received her special greeting.

Father homily, based on the Gospel of Luke, was thoughtful. He reminded us that we must be ready for the new things God wishes to pour into our lives, like new wine being poured into fresh wineskins. We cannot hold on too tightly to old ways or old habits, or we risk missing out on the new graces and blessings that God is offering us. I felt like his words were meant for me today, calling me to embrace the changes in my life and open my heart to what lies ahead.

This evening, after such a fulfilling day, Sister Mary Claire and I sat together and wrote a prayer. We wanted to end the day in gratitude, and I thought I’d share it here in my diary:

"Dear Lord, we thank You for the gift of this day. For the cool morning air, the warmth of community, and the grace of Your Word. Help us to be open to the new blessings You offer, to let go of our fears, and to trust in Your love and guidance. May we always walk in the path of Your righteousness, and may we greet each day with hearts full of hope and gratitude. Watch over us, our loved ones, and all those we meet. Let Your peace settle upon us as we rest tonight, knowing that You are always with us.

Amen."

I couldn’t ask for a better way to end the day. Surrounded by faith, love, and little Mini, this simple life feels so full and rich.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...