Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Mini and Jack



August 4, 1955

Dear Diary,

The morning walk with Sister Mary Claire and Mini was refreshing as always. The gravel road crunched beneath our feet, and the air had that early-autumn feel, just a hint of coolness before the day warmed up. Mini was on a mission, darting ahead as she always does, and sure enough, she found Jack, her big rabbit friend, near the wildflowers. It’s such a sight—Mini and Jack, sitting quietly together, as if they understand each other perfectly. Their new friendship makes me smile.

At church, Father LeRoy’s homily spoke to my heart. He reflected on the Gospel reading from Luke 4:38-44, focusing on how Jesus, in the midst of healing and teaching, always found time to retreat and pray. Father reminded us that we, too, need those moments of stillness, where we can retreat from the world and find God in the quiet. It made me think of our cave sanctuary and how blessed I am to have a place like that to retreat to, especially on warm days like today.

The afternoon grew hot, so Mini and I headed to the cave for some much-needed coolness. I decided to tidy up a bit, and I washed a set of doilies to freshen up the candles at the grotto. The clean, white lace looked so lovely against the stone, adding a simple elegance to the sacred space. It felt like such a small act of care, but one that made the grotto feel even more special.

After tidying, I sat at John Hathaway’s desk and wrote a prayer, reflecting on the peacefulness of the day and the sense of connection I felt. It was a quiet moment, just me, my thoughts, and God’s presence.

As the day came to a close, Sister Mary Claire and I retreated to the prayer wagon with Mini curled up between us. I read my prayer aloud:

"Dear Lord, thank You for the gift of today, for the beauty of nature and the peace we find in stillness. Bless our time here and the sacred spaces we create with Your love. Guide us always to seek You in all that we do. Amen."

The simple prayer was a fitting way to end the day, surrounded by the quiet peace of our sanctuary and the love that fills it.

Until tomorrow,
Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...