Sunday, September 22, 2024

Sunday Sermon


The Sunday Sermon
Click on Kathy's  Radio to Listen Now.

September 22, 1955
 
Dear Diary,


This morning started off quietly as Sister Mary Claire went ahead to St. Mary's to help Father LeRoy prepare for Mass. I decided to ride my bicycle, with Mini riding comfortably in the basket at the back and my Crucifix nestled in the front. The sky was clear, and the air fresh. As we set out, I slipped my transistor radio into my back pocket—just in time to catch Bishop Barron beginning his Sunday homily. His voice would keep me company as we made our way through the shortcut, cutting right through the cornfield. I always like that path; it feels secret and peaceful, like God’s little hidden passageway.

By the time we arrived at St. Mary’s, the church bells were already ringing. Father's homily today was particularly moving. He preached from the Gospel according to Mark 9:30-37, where Jesus reminds His disciples that “Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.” Father spoke about humility, how Jesus took a little child and placed him in the midst of the disciples, telling them that welcoming a child in His name is welcoming Christ Himself.

He then shared a quote from Father Faber, one of his favorite saints: "Kindness has converted more sinners than zeal, eloquence, or learning." Father's voice softened when he said this, and I could tell he was deep into his copy of All For Jesus again. He reminded us how Father Faber taught that true service is marked by gentleness and humility, and how these simple acts can draw us closer to the heart of Jesus.

After Mass, Sister Mary Claire and I stayed a little while longer to pray quietly. Mini waited patiently by my side, her little tail-less bottom wagging whenever someone passed by. Eventually, we made our way home, the afternoon light casting a golden hue over the cornfields.

As the evening drew in, Sister and I spent time in the prayer wagon. We had a sweet embrace, feeling the peace of the day settle into our hearts. Mini curled up at my feet, and I couldn’t help but feel a deep gratitude for this sanctuary.

Before bed, I wrote this prayer to end the day:

O Sacred Heart, so full of grace,
In every child, I see Your face.
May kindness be the path I tread,
And love the light that guides ahead.
For last is first in Your pure eyes,
Teach me to serve and not to rise.
Grant me the grace to walk with You,
In simple acts, in all I do. Amen.



With that, I say goodnight. I feel the arms of heaven around me as I drift into sleep, comforted by the love that fills this little sanctuary.

With love,
Kathy





No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...