Thursday, September 19, 2024

Can't Wait Till Evening

 
September 19, 1955

Dear Diary,

This morning felt like a blessing from the very start. The September air was crisp as we walked down the gravel road to church. The trees are starting to turn golden, and the leaves crunched under my shoes with every step. I couldn't help but take in the beauty of God's creation all around me. With my Irish Prayer book in hand, I whispered my prayer as I always do: "O Mary of Grace and Mother of God, May I tread in the paths that the righteous have trod!" Sister Mary Claire walked beside me, and we shared a peaceful silence as we made our way.

Mini was so eager to greet everyone at church today! Her little bottom wagged just as fast as ever as the parishioners arrived, and a few stopped to give her pets and smiles. She's such a joyful little greeter, and everyone seems to love her as much as I do.

Father LeRoy gave such a touching homily today. The Gospel reading was from Luke 7:36-50, about the sinful woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears and anointed them with ointment. I’ve always loved this story, but Father Leroy’s words really struck my heart this morning. He explained how this woman, despite being looked down upon by the Pharisees, showed immense love and repentance for her sins. Jesus, seeing her true heart, forgave her completely. Father Leroy said, “The more we realize the depth of our sins and receive God’s forgiveness, the greater our capacity to love. We mustn’t judge others as the Pharisees did, but rather offer mercy, just as Jesus does for us.”

His words left me thinking deeply about the people in my life, and how I want to be more like Jesus — forgiving, loving, and seeing the goodness in others, no matter their past.

After Mass, I was excited to continue reading ALL for Jesus. I’m only a couple of pages in, but I can’t wait to read Page 3 aloud to Sister Mary Claire tonight. I think she’ll appreciate the beauty of it as much as I do.

As the evening settles in, I’m cozy here in the prayer wagon with Mini fast asleep beneath the bed. The day feels complete, wrapped in peace and gratitude.

Dear Jesus, my Savior and Friend,
Thank You for Your mercy without end.
Help me to love and forgive like You,
To see others’ hearts and show kindness, too.
Bless my family, and watch over Mini,
As we rest beneath Your holy canopy.
Guide us through the night until the dawn,
In Your love, we safely belong.
Amen.

Good night, dear Diary.
Kathy
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Third Day

September 28, 1955 Dear Diary, Another cold, blustery day, even worse than yesterday. My hopes of fishing by the shore of Okoboji were dashe...