Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Saying Goodbye

Dear Diary,

This morning, Vreni and I attended Holy Mass together while Sister Mary Claire spent her last day teaching at the monastery. The Mass was beautiful, and as I sat in the pew beside Vreni, I felt both the comfort of the familiar prayers and the ache of knowing it was one of our last moments together in Zurich.

After Mass, Vreni and I found a quiet corner in the churchyard to talk about the Gospel reading. It was from Luke, and it spoke about the warnings Jesus gave to the scribes and Pharisees, how they built memorials for the prophets their ancestors had killed and still bore the guilt of those actions. Vreni explained it in a way that made me think deeply. She said that it’s a reminder not to cover up past wrongs, but to make amends and live with truth. I’ve never thought of it quite that way before, and her words brought a kind of peace to my heart, as if God was telling me to always choose the path of honesty and grace.

Afterward, we walked slowly back toward the apartment, both of us knowing we wouldn’t have many more walks like this together. Before we parted ways, we exchanged addresses and made a special vow to be the best pen pals ever. I promised to send her updates about Mini and our farm life, and she said she’d write to me about her adventures in Zurich. The thought of keeping in touch through letters made the goodbye a little easier to bear, knowing that our friendship would continue even across the miles.

Mini, sensing my mixed emotions, stayed close by all day, her quiet companionship a comfort as always.

Evening Prayer:

Dear Lord,
Thank You for the gift of this day,
For the beauty of Mass shared with a dear friend,
And the words of Your Gospel that stir my heart.
Though goodbyes are hard,
I trust in Your plan to bring us together again,
Whether through letters or perhaps in Your time.
Please bless Vreni and keep her close to Your heart.
Let our friendship grow, even from afar.
Grant me the grace to face tomorrow,
As we leave this place behind.
Guide our steps home,
And keep us always in Your loving care.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saying Goodbye

Dear Diary, This morning, Vreni and I attended Holy Mass together while Sister Mary Claire spent her last day teaching at the monastery. The...