Sunday, October 6, 2024

A German Mass

 
October 6, 1955

Dear Diary,

I’ve gotten my days all mixed up with the time difference! It feels like we’ve been traveling for ages, and I realized just now that I’m writing this for Saturday as we went to vigil Mass last night. Time seems to blend together when you’re on such an adventure.

Yesterday started with Sister Mary Claire reading me the Gospel as we prepared for our day trip to Germany. It was from Mark 10:2-16, where the Pharisees tested Jesus, asking if divorce was lawful. Jesus reminded them that from the beginning, God created man and woman to be one, united forever. His words about love being something sacred and unbreakable filled my heart as we packed for the trip, and Sister said it was a good reading to carry with us, knowing we’d attend Mass later that evening.

Sister predicted correctly that the Mass at Trinity Church in Germany would be in German. She reassured me that it wouldn’t matter since every Mass follows the Roman Missal. It was a comfort knowing that, even though we wouldn’t understand the words, the service itself would be familiar. And she was right. The Mass was in German, but I could follow along perfectly. It felt like such a blessing to be there, surrounded by new sights but still connected to something so familiar and comforting.

While we waited for the Mass to begin, Sister read the Gospel again, and I thought about how no matter the language, God’s truth and love reach us all the same. During the service, I kept thinking about how Jesus' message about the sacredness of marriage and love is a truth that never changes, no matter where in the world we are.

After Mass, we spent some time in the church, and Sister Mary Claire took the most beautiful photo of a statue of Jesus and Mary. The sunlight hit it just right, making them look almost as if they were glowing. It felt like a small moment of grace, just standing there with them.

We didn’t end up buying any groceries as we had planned, but Sister surprised me with a lovely bag to carry my All for Jesus book so it wouldn’t get damaged. It was such a thoughtful gift, and now I don’t have to worry about the book as I carry it around.

So even though the day went a little differently than we planned, it was full of beauty and grace, and I’m so thankful for it.

O Mary of Grace, guide me always in His love.

A Prayer for the Journey

O Sacred Heart, my guide, my light,
Lead me through day, lead me through night.
When paths are strange, and roads seem long,
Keep me steadfast, keep me strong.

In foreign lands or fields I roam,
Your love will always bring me home.
Though words may differ, tongues unknown,
Your truth, dear Lord, is ever shown.

Grant me grace in all I do,
To walk in faith, to trust in You.
In joy and peace, my heart shall stay,
With You beside me every day. Amen.


Goodnight, dear Diary.

With love,
Kathy



No comments:

Post a Comment

More Muesli Please

  October 15, 1955   Dear Diary, This morning started off with the usual quiet, as Sister Mary Claire had already left for the monastery. Bu...