Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Shaggycoat

June 27, 1955

Dear Diary,

Today was such a lovely day. Sister Mary Claire and I attended early morning Mass with Father LeRoy. It was a cool, foggy morning, and the walk to St. Mary's was so refreshing. The mist hung low over the fields, making everything look soft and dreamlike. The dewdrops on the grass sparkled in the early light, and the air was filled with the scent of wet earth and blooming flowers. As we walked, our breaths made little clouds in the cool air, and the quiet of the morning was only broken by the occasional chirping of birds waking up to greet the day.

Father LeRoy's message from yesterday still had my mind wandering back to the farm and all of my animals. I've made a new friend from the wild side that I've named Shaggy Coat. Though I say that he is from the wild side, Shaggy Coat is quite tame and loves to eat the carrots and other vegetables from my hand. I named him Shaggy Coat because I once read a biography of a beaver with the same name, and it seemed to suit my little gentleman perfectly. In fact, I still have the Shaggy Coat book, and it's one of my most precious possessions outside of my books of faith. I've added it as #9 in the Little Library so others can read the Shaggy Coat story as well.

After another great lunch in the big house made by Tom and Judy, I ran down to the creek and pond. Shaggy Coat was quick to spot me and waddled up on shore. Mini, Omelette, and I spent the afternoon together, enjoying the peacefulness of the farm and the company of our little beaver friend.

In the evening, I retreated into the Inner Court prayer wagon with my sister Mary Claire. I asked her if we could cut a hole and put in a doggie door for Shaggy Coat, but she, of course, didn't think that was a very good idea. 

Before going to bed, we wrote a prayer together:

"Dear Lord, we thank You for the beauty of this day and the cool misty morning that began it. We are grateful for all Your creatures, especially our new friend Shaggy Coat. Thank You for the joy and companionship they bring into our lives. Please bless our family, friends, and all those in need of Your grace. Guide us through the night and keep us safe. Thank You for Sister Mary Claire's good common sense and for always looking out for us. Amen."

Till next time, dear diary.

Love,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

June 30th, 1955

    June 30th, 1955 Dear Diary, Today was supposed to be our return to the cave, but plans changed because I kind of forgot about the church...