Friday, June 28, 2024

Shaggy Coat's Secret


June 29, 1955

Dear Diary, 

The day began with a misty, cool morning, perfect for a walk to Holy Mass. Sister Mary Claire and I set out early, our steps quiet on the damp path. The world around us was cloaked in a gentle fog, with droplets of moisture hanging from the leaves and grass, shimmering in the soft morning light. The air was fresh and crisp, and the peaceful silence was broken only by the distant chirping of waking birds.

Fr. LeRoy's homily today was about God's hatred of sin and how we should strive to hate it as well. He spoke with such conviction, reminding us that even the smallest sins can separate us from God. His words lingered in my mind, a call to live a more devout and careful life, avoiding the little missteps that lead us away from His grace.

After Mass, we walked home. I did my chicken chores with Mini eagerly watching and guiding me at every step. Omelette, my faithful brown hen, is doing wonderfully and continues to lay one brown egg each day. After collecting the egg, I enjoyed a simple lunch of one brown boiled egg and some salad greens with olive oil.

With Mini taking her afternoon nap, I set out to the creek. Shaggy Coat waddled up to me as if on a mission and turned around, beckoning me to follow him. He kept glancing back to ensure I was close behind. We veered off from the main creek, following a smaller tributary toward Top Meadow, a place I had never explored. Eventually, we reached an area dense with thickets, bushes, mulberry plants, and grapevines. I thought perhaps Shaggy Coat wanted to share the berries, but instead, he squeezed through the vines and disappeared but in a moment his head peeked out and beckoned me to follow.

Curiosity piqued, I pushed aside the vines and discovered a cave opening. Holding tight to my rosary, on hands and knees I managed to squeeze through the dense foliage, a bit fearful of what I might find inside. Once inside I found the cave was more than just a niche in the side of the hill—it seemed to go deeper, and I could hear the faint sound of water running within. There was no water flowing out of the cave, so I guessed there must be an underground stream. I decided to bring a lantern and explore it further tomorrow.

Before leaving, I sat quietly and prayed an Our Father and Three Hail Marys. The serene beauty of the cave filled me with a sense of peace. I knew that when I returned to the prayer wagon, I would have plenty to reflect on while praying the Five Joyful Mysteries.

In the evening, Sister Mary Claire and I prayed together in the Inner Court wagon. We included Shaggy Coat, Mini, and my brown hen Omelette in our prayer:

Heavenly Father,

We thank You for the blessings of this day and the unexpected wonders You lead us to discover. We are grateful for the peaceful walk to Holy Mass this morning and the wisdom shared by Fr. Leroy.

We pray for Your guidance as we strive to live a life free from sin, even the smallest ones, which distance us from You. Bless our family, friends, and community, and help us share Your love and peace with everyone we meet.

We lift up our beloved animals—Shaggy Coat, who led us to a hidden sanctuary, Mini, who brings joy to our days, and Omelette, who faithfully provides for us. May Your grace protect them and keep them safe.

Guide us with Your light, especially as we look forward to exploring the cave further tomorrow. Let it be a place where we feel Your presence and peace.

In Your holy name, we pray.

Amen.

Goodnight, dear diary.
Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Lord's Light

  July 3, 1955 Dear Diary, Today was another remarkable day filled with spiritual wonder and inspiration. Sister Mary Claire and I took a pe...